“Good enough’ is rarely good enough for SPL, as this thoroughly over-engineered preamp testifies!… SPL’s Crescendo is an impressively-built multi‑channel mic preamp which espouses the art of the discrete transistor op-amp operating on high-voltage rails, and that unusual design approach pays off in its graceful and natural sound quality.” – Sound On Sound
“With the Crescendo, I immediately have the feeling that I’m getting a whole new, unprecedented reproduction quality from all my microphones.” – Tape Op
The SPL Crescendo is the first microphone preamplifier that works with an internal operating voltage of 120V and breaks new ground
Imagine a microphone preamplifier with such a wide dynamic range and high overload resistance that the entire dynamic range of the microphone can be recorded without any limitations. Imagine that the preamplification electronics themselves have no effect on the sound and you rediscover the sound of your microphones. With absolute signal fidelity and clarity.
Inputs 1 – 8
Each of the Crescendo’s eight preamp sections is equipped with a gain control (Mic Gain), a VU meter, a polarity reversal switch, phantom power, a 20dB Pad, and a -10 reduction switch for the VU meter display. The Mic Gain knob controls a range from 18dB to 70dB, providing plenty of juice for even your low-output passive ribbon mics. Engage a Pad to knock high-level input signals down into the comfort zone (-2dB to 50dB).
The input differential amplifiers are constructed with pairs of transistors, each of which is combined in a housing. Precise matching of the transistors and thermal coupling ensure high common-mode rejection and extremely low THD values.
The choice of transistors and resistors has a decisive influence on the sound. In countless listening sessions the optimal components for Crescendo were selected – the effort was worth it!
Outputs 1 – 8
SPL’s 120V SUPRA operational amplifiers work as current amplifiers, which also offer pure class A operation with over 6mA quiescent current. We largely dispense with coupling capacitors in order to avoid their sonic disadvantages (diffuse, sloping, loss of dynamics). In order to eliminate DC voltage components nevertheless, active servo circuits are used.
Alternate DB25 Output
For fast cabling to multi-channel converters, Crescendo offers DB25 connection.
- 120V Technology with high-voltage SUPRA op-amps
- Frequency range: 20Hz–50kHz, -3dB
- Gain range: 18dB to 70dB (-2dB to 50dB with 20dB Pad engaged)
- Discrete output stage op-amps are capable of driving long cable paths without problems
- Active servo circuits avoid the use of coupling capacitors and their inherent drawbacks
- Mu-metal shielded transformer power supply
* A “Special Order” is a product that we normally do not keep in stock. We order it from the manufacturer as soon as you order from us. We are the exclusive distributor for SPL, so we can get your special order to you fast, in about 1-2 weeks. Remember that special orders are non-cancelable, so make sure the item you are ordering is correct. Call us at +65 63388657 if you need assistance.
Meet With A Passionate Product Specialist
Our sales staff are on hand to answer all of your questions. Whether you’re picking up your next microphone, an audio interface or planning a new studio from the ground up, we can help. Contact us or visit our showroom