“The API 2500+ is the epitome of my very favourite kind of bus compressor: one that adds deliberate sonic character & personality in its own uniquely distinct way. The variations of punch & presence from the Thrust detector, the noticeable differences in knee selections and the feed-back/feed-forward compression styles all offer a very broad palette of subtle & drastic colours to add to your canvas. With the rich sounding 2520 op amps plus the new mix/blend circuit superb for parallel compression use, the 2500+ has become an essential part of the way I make records. Vital!” – Julian Kindred, Producer/Engineer (Ellie Goulding, Nao, Aimee Mann, Hammock, Max Cooper)
“Finally, mastering engineers will want to audition one as funds permit. But if you’re a tracking or mix engineer, pick up the phone, and get one in your hands now. You’ll hear what I mean.” – Tape Op
Classic API Compression for the Modern Studio
The API 2500+ Stereo Bus Compressor allows adjustment of sonic qualities to alter the punch and tone of the stereo mix. The 19-inch, rack-mountable unit features a dual-channel design that can be configured for stereo compression or for use as two separate units via a single compression setting.
Among the many qualities which make the 2500+’s unique is its use of API’s patented THRUST® circuit for a chest-hitting, punchy bottom end. Another distinctive feature of the 2500+ is its selectable “old” or “new” compression, with the old style using the “feed back” type of compression found in the API 525, and the new style using the “feed forward” type in which the compressor side chain is fed directly from the unit input. Additionally, the output stage of the 2500+ offers an auto-makeup gain button that permits the user to vary the threshold or ratio while automatically maintaining a constant output level.
Added to the 2500+ is the Mix/Blend circuit. First featured in the limited production 50th Anniversary Edition, Mix/Blend control provides either cross fader or parallel mixing of the compressed and uncompressed signal. Three different user settings are offered:
- OFF – compressed signal only
- X (Cross) – allows the MIX control to adjust between 100% uncompressed to 100% compressed – increasing one, while decreasing the other
- || (Parallel) – allows the MIX control to dial in compressed signal to blend into the uncompressed signal, (which remains the same).
The 2500+ ensures fidelity with its fully balanced design and two front panel VU meters showing input, output and gain reduction levels.
- API 2520 Op Amps
- Expanded variable threshold between -20dBu to +20dBu
- Selectable ratio, attack, and release times
- Patented THRUST® filter with 3 settings for frequency dependent side chain control
- Variable link between left and right channels
- Old “feed back” and new “feed forward” compression
- Soft, Medium, or Hard knee for easy to sharp compression
- Auto or manual gain make up
- 1/4″ balanced side chain inputs
- Output clips at +32dBu
- New Mix/Blend circuit
- “Over Threshold” LED illuminates when input audio crosses the set threshold
- Stereo analog meters to show input level, output level, and gain reduction
- Full hard-wired relay bypass
* A “Special Order” is a product that we normally do not keep in stock. We order it from the manufacturer as soon as you order from us. We are the exclusive distributor for API Audio, so we can get your special order to you fast, in about 2-3 weeks. Remember that special orders are non-cancelable, so make sure the item you are ordering is correct. Call us at +65 63388657 if you need assistance.
*Delays may be expected in the event of high order volumes or unforeseen circumstances.
Meet With A Passionate Product Specialist
Our sales staff are on hand to answer all of your questions. Whether you’re picking up your next microphone, an audio interface or planning a new studio from the ground up, we can help. Contact us or visit our showroom