Townsend Labs Sphere L22 Precision Microphone Modeling System
“The open natural sound of the Sphere mic is quite impressive. A great new tool for the mic locker!” – Vance Powell (Jack White, The Raconteurs)
“Even better than the real thing” – Mike Hillier, MusicTech
“Townsend Labs’ Sphere L22 boldly goes where no mic emulation system has gone before! The Sphere L22 is probably the most comprehensive microphone modelling system to date, but what’s most impressive is its ability to correct some of the inherent flaws of large-diaphragm capacitor mic design.” – Sam Inglis, Sound On Sound
“What I find so great about the Sphere L22 is not just its modeling, or its pattern control, or Axis and Proximity setting. It’s how all of it comes together in such a useful way, while sounding great. Nicely done, Townsend Labs.” – Paul Vnuk, Recording Magazine
Unlock the real 3D sounds of the finest microphones in recording history
The Sphere L22 microphone system from Townsend Labs models the characteristics of the most sought-after large-diaphragm condenser microphones with amazing accuracy and allows selection of different mics and patterns even after tracking.
The Sphere system consists of a high precision dual channel microphone, which when paired with the included Sphere plug-in (UAD, VST, AU, AAX Native) accurately models the response of a wide range of mics, including transient response, harmonics, proximity effect and three-dimensional polar response.
Now You Can:
- Record with the sound of microphones many have only dreamt about
- Change mic type, polar pattern, and other microphone characteristics, even after tracking!
- Audition the sound of different microphones without tiring the vocalist
- Reduce bleed, undesirable room coloration, and other common issues using Off-Axis Correction™
- Record in stereo from a single microphone
Breakthrough Microphone Modeling Technology
Sphere’s three-dimensional approach captures the spatial nuances, proximity effect and off-axis frequency response of a wide range of microphones, which until now was not possible with any other product.
Access some of the most prized microphones of all time, including a 47 (with VF14 tube), a 67, an M49, and a C12.
Sphere L22 Microphone
The Sphere system employs the high-resolution, dual-channel L22 large-diaphragm condenser microphone, custom designed to capture the three-dimensional soundfield with exacting detail. Manufactured to extremely tight tolerances, the L22 ensures that modeling is consistent and accurate.
Realtime UAD Processing
With Universal Audio Apollo, achieve extremely low latency (approx. 1.6ms round trip at 96kHz) for guaranteed real-time performance. Also supports native AAX, VST and AU.
Polar Pattern Modeling
Because Sphere captures the three-dimensional response of target microphones, it precisely emulates the polar patterns and other off-axis characteristics of vintage microphones which are essential to their unique sound.
Re-Mic Sphere Tracks
Select mic type, polar pattern and other settings both before and after tracking.
Adjustable Proximity Effect
No need to move a microphone solely because of too little or too much bass due to proximity effect. Great for punching in a vocal where distance from the mic varies from take to take.
Dual Mic Models
Record In Stereo (With One Mic)
With just one Sphere L22 mic it’s possible to make coincident stereo recordings, and even have different mic models on the left and right channels, using the Sphere 180 plug-in.
Virtually rotate the axis of the mic to give a more off-axis sound before or after tracking.
Create more accurate polar patterns to reduce bleed, room coloration, and susceptibility of feedback before or after tracking.
The Sphere plug-in features a visually informative (and very cool) Polar Meter that dynamically displays the direction and level of sound being picked up by the microphone, as well as the currently selected polar pattern.
The microphone hardware has a self-noise level of 7dB-A SPL, well below most vintage microphones and comparable to many of the best modern microphones.
High SPL Handling
The L22 can handle in excess of 140dB SPL before clipping and is remarkably rugged. It won’t be damaged by high SPLs or air blasts as some vintage microphones can be.
- Sphere L22 Microphone – high precision, dual-capsule, large-diaphragm condenser studio microphone, which can be used with or without modeling
- Bundled Accessories
- 10 Foot (3 Meter) Breakout Cable
- Shock Mount
- Swivel Mount
- Hard Carrying Case
- Plush Dust Cover
- Sphere™ DSP algorithms – accurately models a wide range of the most sought-after microphones in the world.
- Re-Mic technology – allows the user to change the mic type and polar pattern even after tracking.
- New patented features – including Off-Axis Correction™, which can produce more accurate polar patterns for reduced bleed, room coloration, and feedback.
- Supports a wide range of plug-in formats – including UAD, VST2, VST3, Audio Units, and AAX Native on Mac and Windows. Voucher included for free UAD Sphere plug-in.
LD-47K (Neumann U47)
For many, the 47 is the ultimate vocal mic. Rumor has it that Frank Sinatra would not sing without his. The specimen we modeled is an original 47 with a fully brass K47 capsule with a mylar diaphragm and a VF-14 tube.
LD-12 (AKG C12)
Released in 1953 the C12 is another iconic mic which has a gorgeous high-end sheen and sparkle, due to the uniquely designed CK12 capsule. It’s a great choice for lush, breathy vocals, without overly accentuating sibilance.
LD-67 (Neumann U67)
The 67 is a very unique and wonderful mic that tends toward warm, yet without sounding dull. We modeled a mid-1960s version. It really shines on distorted guitar amps where it can reduce harshness while maintaining detail.
LD-49K (Neumann M49)
Although the M49 used the same capsules as the U47, it has a number of “enhancements” which give it its iconic and distinctive sound. The center position on the pattern knob is approximately cardioid, but often the pattern was dialed in a little more exactly to get the best cardioid pattern possible. The model uses this “best” cardioid position.
The Sphere Linear model provides ruler-flat frequency response from 20Hz to 20kHz, as well as an extremely smooth and well controlled off-axis response. A first of its kind, for a directional microphone.
Other Models Include:
- LD-251 (Telefunken ELAM 251)
- LD-800 (Sony C800G)
- LD-67 NOS (Limited production Neumann U67 “reissue”)
- LD-87 (Neumann U87)
- LD-87 TK (Neumann U87 modified by Tracy Korby of Korby Audio Technology)
- LD-414 Brass (AKG 414 with a brass-ringed capsule)
- LD-414 Nylon (AKG414 with a nylon mounting ring)
- LD-414 US (AKG 414B with nylon capsule)
- LD-414 T2 (AKG414 that used a transformerless circuit)
- SD-451 (AKG C451)
- RB-4038 (BBC-designed Coles/STC 4038 ribbon)
- RB-77DX Satin (RCA 77DX)
- RB-77DX Umber (A darker and smoother RCA 77DX)
- DN-57 (Shure SM57)
- DN-7 (Shure SM7)
* A “Special Order” is a product that we normally do not keep in stock. We order it from the manufacturer as soon as you order from us. We are the exclusive distributor for Townsend Labs, so we can get your special order to you fast, in about 1-2 weeks. Remember that special orders are non-cancelable, so make sure the item you are ordering is correct. Call us at +65 63388657 if you need assistance.
Meet With A Passionate Product Specialist
Our sales staff are on hand to answer all of your questions. Whether you’re picking up your next microphone, an audio interface or planning a new studio from the ground up, we can help. Contact us or visit our showroom